Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two Too Many

In the garden the rose rose above all the other flowers.

She gave birth in her berth on the Orient Express.
After retrieving his dropped sandwich, he ground ground with his teeth.
I was told that the bridge was tolled.
Why did you bring a ball to the ball?
“Aye, you’ve poked my eye!” said I.
We don’t measure carrots in carats, nor designate them with carets.
Homophones, homographs, homonyms, and heterographs. My favorite types of words and my husband’s most hated.

I love word play. Anything I can twist into a pun is utilized in an instant. Quick wittedness has gotten me laughs over the years, as well as ejections from classrooms as a kid. I have to confess, I’m a blurter. I’ve done it in meetings, lectures, church services, and seminars. I do enjoy a good laugh from others.
These wonderful words also drive my dear husband to distraction. They are very hard for him to differentiate between. They take him a bit of time to decipher. The moment he hears one, he has to stop listening to figure out what is meant. When he stops listening, then he no longer hears the context that the word was used in, thus thoroughly confusing himself. If he responds, chances are the speaker will be equally confused as Steve most likely picked the wrong meaning.
Communication breakdown.
My ‘punny-ness’ is usually not funny to my Sweetie. That’s okay.
Slowly but surely I am learning to look for other audiences than Steve for my word play. I keep reminding myself to speak at a slower pace, in simple sentences, and watch his reactions to see if he understands me. Not because he’s stupid or dimwitted. He’s brilliant. But with his Aspergers, the words can easily get jumbled up and my meaning lost.
It’s fun to go to gatherings with other people I can talk to. Steve likes to be nearby, but not partake in the conversations. It’s enjoyable when he’s there with me, nodding and smiling. I can even bet that he is rebuilding an engine in his mind, and doesn’t have a clue about what we are talking about. No problem. I’m still in my element. After all, I’m one of the funniest people I know! At least I think I am.
As for the tutus, leave me three please. I certainly don’t want to have two tutus too many!

No comments:

Post a Comment