Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Well Trained

I love my kids. They are the greatest. Within the space of just a couple of hours all three checked with me this evening to try to figure out plans for Mother’s Day this coming Sunday. Since youngest kidlet has a baseball tournament we will be out of town, so our oldest son and our daughter are going to plan something for the following Sunday. I am thrilled. I hope my mom will be up for a late night visit as we never know when tourneys will end.
As for my mom-in-law, I will make sure to have youngest kidlet send a card. I don’t know what my hubby has planned for her, but I’ve made sure he understands that Sunday is ‘the day’. We shall see.
Since I am not Steve’s mother, I don’t expect anything from him to me. Because my kids understand that their dad has Aspergers, the older ones make sure the youngest is taken shopping. I am grateful. If Steve forgets to do anything for his mom I’m pretty sure I will get the blame. But my hubby has never once taken care of my mom’s birthday or Mother’s Day. So I have to leave him to himself. It’s tough.
I met my husband shortly before Easter twenty years ago. A day or two before that Easter Sunday he got me a cute card and chocolates. Several months after that he honored me on my birthday by getting me a bag of books by my favorite authors. I’m sure we went out to dinner, though I’m afraid I don’t remember where. Old age, I guess.
Steve, however, suffers from sporadic memory blocks and/or memory loss. Sometimes short term, sometimes long term. It seems totally random and is completely unpredictable. It's one of an Aspie's more troublesome traits.
My hubby decided to update his resume and asked me to look it over before he left for work. I opened the file he had emailed me yesterday and was surprised to see our old landline number listed as a home phone number. I asked him when he had last updated it. He said it was a couple of months ago. When I reminded him that we haven’t had a landline in over three years he seemed truly befuddled.
“We don’t? What happened to it?” he asked.
“We decided it was silly to pay $70 per month for telephone solicitors to bother us at dinner, remember? We all have cell phones with unlimited texting and calling. Why would we need a landline? Besides, you refused to answer it when we had it because you said it was never for you!”
There was a long silence. Steve looked perplexed. He didn’t remember at all.
Then he looked startled. “What were we just talking about?” he queried.
Never mind, Sweetie. It’s not important. The train has left the station.

No comments:

Post a Comment