Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Acceptance

Seems like a simple word.

It’s the realization of a fact or truth and coming to terms with it. The willingness to believe that something is true. Toleration of a situation without protest.

A monkey can accept that it can’t soar through the air like a bird. A bird can accept that it can’t swing through the trees like a monkey.

But we humans often refuse to recognize or accept our own limitations. It can be one of the toughest things about Asperger’s Syndrome.

I was reading Aspie Audrey’s blog a few weeks ago. Audrey and her therapist were talking about her dyslexia:

 “which, SURPRISE…often accompanies Asperger’s Syndrome (When does the list end?!)… we spoke about the day to day struggle of life skills I seem to face. We talked about limitations and acceptance. I thought I was a person who KNEW my limitations. Turns out I have not accepted what I know.
His words were ‘If you keep comparing yourself to the other[s]… you will feel guilty all the time for something your brain CAN"T DO… Driving is… something you may need to give up in the future. (My heart plummeted.) … This is not failing. This is accepting…We all have limitations in various ways. Some more than others. Believe it. Acceptence enables the person to tone down their emotional response, which makes every situation a bit easier…You have not accepted yourself as you are in these areas…You are not lazy. So why do you think you are if you accept these limitations? If you keep pushing yourself to be what you are not by expecting yourself to make meals or drive independently…you will not only fail but you will feel awful always.’”

Boy oh boy does this hit home for my husband and I. Steve is moderately dyslexic, and completely directionally challenged. (see my blog 'Directionally Challenged')

I have asked my hubby to be evaluated by a certified driving teacher, but he refuses. I won’t let Kidlet ride in a car driven by him. I occasionally will ride with Steve just to see if his claim is true that he has been consciously working on improving his driving skills. He hasn’t. I can hardly wait for Kidlet to get his driving permit next year so he can drive with his dad in the car. Perhaps Dad will learn a thing or two. Perhaps not.

I am sure that Steve doesn’t want to face giving up his license. As I age I contemplate life without the freedom to come and go with my own vehicle. Maybe I can convince youngest Kidlet to live at home forever and chauffeur me around.

On second thought, what a horrible thing to saddle him with. I will just hire myself a pool boy who can also drive.

Now that’s a nice thought….

Laugh out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment