Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Decisions

“I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure…”

My dear hubby’s voice trailed off. I nearly split my britches trying not to laugh as I know he is serious.

Decision making can be one of the toughest parts of Steve’s daily life. There are so many things that he just doesn’t get around to doing, and I’d imagine, in part, it’s due to his conflicted feelings and thoughts about what exactly to do. He tends to over think things.

As I sat in bed reading last night I heard thumping from the kitchen, which is directly on the other side of the wall from our headboard. I got up to see what was going on.

We’ve recently added a new dog to our family and he is wickedly smart. Finn can open doors to let himself in or out. He is able to open coolers. A few days ago Steve caught Finn running down the hall from the kitchen with a bag of cheese rolls dangling from his mouth that, prior to the blatant theft, had been in the bread drawer. Our other dog’s favorite food is bread. Sadie passes up steak for a dinner roll. So to find out that Finn can open the bread drawer and bring Sadie a ‘snack’ was a shock. A couple of mornings ago Finn jumped up to the counter and ate Kidlet’s bacon off his plate as I turned to get the eggs out of the pan. Cheese Louise, Kidlet was sad. It was the last bit of bacon.

As I entered the kitchen last night, I flipped on the light as it was pitch dark. There was Steve bumbling around.

“What are you doing, Sweetie?” I asked.

“I’m trying to figure out what to eat,” says He.

“Why are you in the dark?” I quiz.

“Because I don’t know if what I want is in a drawer or cupboard, in the fridge, or in the pantry,” came the reply.

This actually makes a great deal of sense. The main kitchen lights would illuminate cupboards or drawers. The fridge has it’s own light, as does the pantry. My Sweetie is majorly into saving energy, especially his own at times.

“How about making yourself some popcorn?” I suggest.

Relief floods Steve’s face. His body visibly relaxes.

“Perfect!” declares He.

After slipping back under the covers, I keep my book in my lap for a bit and contemplate what my day would be like if I had to agonize over each and every decision I made. Certainly some of my past would have been easier had I given a little more thought to some of the decisions I have made. But overall, life would seem paralyzing if I had to operate minute by minute as Steve does. Perhaps he weighs each outcome. Perhaps he analyzes every scenario. Perhaps he is just stumped as to his choices.

Life does have its ups and downs. Decisions can be hard at times. To be truthful, sometimes I scream and sometimes I enjoy the ride. I’m just glad Steve is riding with me.

Please pass the popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment